Joseph Bloch was born in France in 1833. He moved to the Americas and Louisiana when he was 21. Bloch owned a mercantile business in Ascension parish before moving to Opelousas. Bloch’s store was located on the northwest corner of Main and Bellevue…

Traiteur, or faith healer, uses a technique known as “treating,” which is a prayer-based method used to fight illness or injury (Turner-Neal, 2016). “For centuries countless traditional healing techniques have been passed down to each new generation,…

It was during the last quarter of the nineteenth century in 1913, the prestigious Holy Rosary Institute opened its doors. It began as an industrial school for young African American woman in Galveston, Texas then later on in the year it moved to…

The history of St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church tells a story of outreach to and inclusion of minority Catholics. In the early 1900s, the Diocese of Lafayette included “50,000 black Catholics, one fourth of the total for the entire United States”…

LOCATION: POINTE COUPEE PARISH, LA COORDINATES: 30.462429, -91.714972 STATUS: FORGOTTEN AND LOST In the 1880s the lumber business came to Louisiana and as the tracts of uncut forest were large, sawmills easily popped up, as the mill itself…

The old Opelousas City Hall was once the center of one of the oldest towns in Louisiana. Today it is nothing more than a run-down building sitting on a street corner in downtown Opelousas. Many people can tell what it once was due to the words “City…

When someone thinks about Louisiana, Hansen’s Disease, or the cure for it, is not the first thing that comes to mind. It turns out, back in the day, there was a leprosarium right down the street from Baton Rouge in Carville, Louisiana. In this…

Grolee Street is one of the oldest streets in Opelousas, Louisiana. It was in 1934 on March 19th, when the Opelousas Board of Public met and passed an ordinance naming two streets that day. One of those streets just so happened to be named Grolee…

St. Peter Catholic Church was established in 1838 shortly after the surrounding area saw an influx of French immigrants who moved down from the north. The growing population yearned for a church and one local man named Frederick Duperier made it…

The New Liberty Theatre is a place full of culture thriving out of Eunice, Louisiana in St. Landry Parish! “Southwest Louisiana’s Premier Temple of Amusement” was one of its first names in 1924. The theatre opened its doors in the City of Eunice and…

The Tunica Treasure is a once lost treasure from the Tunica-Biloxi tribe. The treasure moved across Louisiana over many years and was lost after the chief who owned it died. The treasure includes musket parts, iron tools, jewelry, French and tribal…

LOCATION: LAFAYETTE, LAFAYETTE PARISH, LA COORDINATES: 30.222657, -92.020472 (217 W. MAIN ST. LAFAYETTE) STATUS: FORGOTTEN One of the first buildings in the town of Lafayette to be on the National Register of Historic Places was, the…

Fournet street is currently located in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Fournet is named after a father and his son. Gabriel Fournet is the father of Joseph Fournet. Gabriel graduated from Georgetown College in 1861. He then entered the military during the…

Jean Noel Destrehan was born in 1754 in what is today St. Charles Parish. He was the son of Jean Baptiste Honore Destrehan de Beaupre, “the head of the Destrehan family line in Louisiana,” the Treasurer of the Louisiana Colony of France (Harvey 13).…

In the 1920's, St. Mary’s Orphange opened its doors. The home welcomed abandoned and orphaned children to a renovated old building to be cared for. In 1924, the orphanage was created by Bishop Jules B. Jeanmard. He then managed the home and began…

St. Joseph Catholic Church is located in the city of Patterson within the St. Mary Parish. In 1848 a group of catholic men, from a Dutch settlement, purchased the land that the church is sitting on for $225, and in 1895 Father Thomas Smith began…

LOCATION: PLAQUEMINE, IBERVILLE PARISH, LA COORDINATES: 30.322331, -91.227700 (Nazarene Baptist’s Cemetery) STATUS: LOST The small, historic town of Morrisonville in Iberville Parish is not only lost to its past residences but also to…

The Calumet Plantation is a large plantation house located north of Patterson, Louisiana in West Baton Rouge Parrish. The house sits on the site of the Battle of Fort Bisland during the Civil War. This battle involved 25,000 soldiers along with…

Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville was born in 1661 in Montreal in Canada. He became well known through his strategic winning of battles in King William’s War. Iberville was the founder of the French colony La Louisiane. He was a soldier and explorer who…

General Albert Sidney Johnston was born in Kentucky in 1803. He first attended a University in Lexington but later graduated in 1826 from a Military Academy in West Point. Johnston was known for serving in three major places, The Texas, U.S, and…

Rodney Milburn was an Olympic hurdler who won gold at the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich in the 110 meters hurdles. While in Munich, Rodney Milburn tied the world record of 13.24 in winning the gold medal. Rodney “Rod” Milburn Jr. was born in…

Taddy served in World War II and received a Bronze Star. Although his records are difficult to find, there is a Clarence C Aycock who enlisted in Jacksonville, Florida. His state and county of residence are listed with unknown codes, but he was born…

The Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist has been in existence for one hundred and ninety-seven years, and during this time, Cathedral has seen its ups and downs. In the early 1800s, Jean Mouton Sr. brought his friend, Father Barrière, to say mass…

Dr. Erastus J. Lyons was born in Calcasieu parish on March 17, 1839, near Eunice on Bayou Plaquemine. Erastus Lyons completed his initial education in public school, then attended school for three years in Jasper, Texas. He returned to Louisiana to…

LOCATION: WHITE CASTLE, IBERVILLE PARISH, LA COORDINATES: 30.185731, -91.120011 STATUS: LOST One of the largest plantations to ever be built in Louisiana and in the South was the Belle Grove Plantation of White Castle. This southern…

In the words of Fr. Keith L Vincent, a previous pastor of St. Leo IV, “Hidden treasure lies just three miles from busy Interstate-10…Signs 500 feet before and after the church say ‘Roberts Cove,’ but this is all…” (Kondert, ix). The Germans have been…

In Bayou Teche just north of Franklin, Louisiana sits a sunken steamboat from Civil War times. The ship is named CSS Tom Sugg or the USS Tensas. The ship was captured during the Civil War which is why it is given two names. This ship now lies under…

St. Charles College was established in 1837 in St. Charles parish, which is the third oldest parish in the Diocese of Lafayette. The site of the church was first purchased in 1819 by Bishop Louis William Dobourg for $10,000. In 1838 the church was…