LOCATION: WHITE CASTLE, IBERVILLE PARISH, LA
COORDINATES: 30.185731, -91.120011
One of the largest plantations to ever be built in Louisiana and in the South was the Belle Grove Plantation of White Castle. This southern mansion was 62 feet high and 122 feet wide that contained seventy-five rooms. John Andrews, a sugar planter from Virginia, built Belle Grove in 1857. To make it stand out more, its colors were not standard white and green but pale lavender rose, blue and yellow. Eventually Andrews decided to sell Belle Grove and planter Henry Ware bought it. The Ware family was the last family to own this plantation and was forced to sell the home, as there had been a series of bad crops in the 1920s. Unfortunately one night in 1952 a fire broke out and the beautiful plantation was lost to the flames. By 1958 the rest of it was bulldozed and now the Belle Grove subdivision is all that is left to remember Belle Grove Plantation.