LOCATION: LAFAYETTE, LAFAYETTE PARISH, LA
COORDINATES: 30.222657, -92.020472 (217 W. MAIN ST. LAFAYETTE)
One of the first buildings in the town of Lafayette to be on the National Register of Historic Places was, the affectionately nicknamed, Old City Hall. It as built in 1898 to be the town’s first bank. Built in the Rococo style, the building is two stories with colored glass windows and different sized bricks. In 1906, the town of Lafayette bought it and turned it into the city hall. It was the city hall for thirty-three years until 1939. Then the building went through various owners before there was talk of having the building torn down. However funds were gathered and the last people to stay in this building were the Council for the Development of French in Louisiana (CODOFIL) in the late 1990s. Since then the building has stood empty amongst it neighbors, waiting for a new owner.